Yesterday (Sept. 30), at ShangRiLa Makati, AMD Leadership for the Philippines thru Mr Ryan Sim (above) and Mr Sonny Sy presented their latest lineup of AMD A-series APUs (Accelerated Processing Unit) integrated into two laptops in the form of the Acer E15 (Php29,900) carrying the A8-7100 and the Lenovo Ideapad Z50 (Php33,995) which carries the A10-7300
Codename Kaveri and the Heterogenous System Architecture (HSA) phrases that contain the most recent technologies being offered by AMD to the consumer market were the highlight of the presentation.
APUs have Compute Cores – this number is the actual count which resides inside an APU chip combined CPU and GPU (IE. 12 compute cores has 4 CPUs and 8 GPUs) and they perform with advantages over Intel at a price point basis. Specifically the A10 which is priced like an i5 but performs like an i7 and the A8 which performs like an i5 and priced like an i3… statistics backed up by numbers from three major benchmarking applications.
Plenty of innovations are inside like the MANTLE APIs for gaming development which specifically has optimizations from their partners. TrueAudio which is a hardware solution for the improvement in the interpretation and delivery of sound data. All of these and more were presented along with all their past advancements within computing technologies as seen below thru Mr Sonny Sy.
This of course is not the top tier which is their FX line which so far will not be making its way to us. We can of course hope that vendors bring it over; some of these can be found listed in the PR after the break.
AMD Announces Its Most Advanced Mobile APUs for Consumer and Commercial Notebooks
–Performance Mobile APUs – codenamed “Kaveri” – leverage revolutionary HSA architecture to deliver maximum compute capability, superior audio-visual quality and long battery life –
MANILA, Philippines – September 30, 2014 — AMD (NYSE: AMD) today introduced in the Philippine market its new 2014 Performance Mobile APUs designed for ultrathin and high-performance mobile PCs, bringing the features and capabilities of the popular and powerful AMD A-Series APU family (codenamed “Kaveri”) to power-efficient notebooks for both personal and professional use. The new mobile APUs mark the debut of Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) features and Graphics Core Next (GCN) Architecture for mobile devices, establishing them as AMD’s most advanced mobile APUs to-date.
“This latest breakthrough from AMD is a total package of superior compute performance, striking graphics, and cost-effective power use with leading technologies in the industry, making the 2014 AMD A-Series APUs a potent force in today’s computing generation,” said Ryan Sim, General Manager for AMD Far East Ltd in the ASEAN region. “This introduction of the latest line of APUs to the Philippine market is part of our vision to improve and ultimately transform the computing experience of Filipino consumers.”
The announcement of the 2014 Performance Mobile APU family features AMD’s first FX-branded enthusiast-class APU for notebooks, and follows the recent introduction of AMD’s 2014 Low-Power and Mainstream APUs.
Introducing AMD PRO
Responding to the needs of an evolving commercial marketplace for longevity, performance and stability in enterprise systems, AMD has introduced a professional line of the Performance Mobile APUs. Designed especially with business in mind, AMD PRO A-Series components offer outstanding stability and longevity, and enable open, industry-standard DASH manageability.
AMD 2014 Performance Mobile APU Features
· The breakthrough new Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) allows the CPU and GPU to work together in harmony by quickly dividing and directing the right tasks toward the appropriate cores for new levels of performance and efficiency in consumer and commercial desktop and notebook PCs, thus enabling a new era of compute capabilities with compute cores
· Award-winning Graphics Core Next Architecture with AMD Radeon™ R7 series graphics and compute capability
· Support for UltraHD (4K) resolutions and new video post-processing enhancements that make 1080p videos look amazing when upscaled on an UltraHD-enabled monitor or TV[ii]
Best Gaming and Entertainment Experience
· FX APU: Up to 30 percent more system compute-per-watt[xi] than our previous generation
Pricing and Availability
Acer and Lenovo notebooks powered by AMD’s 2014 A-Series APU Processor lineup and incorporated with AMD Radeon™ R-Series discrete graphics for an exceptional cinematic or gaming experience are already available in the Philippine market.
The Acer E15, powered by AMD A8-7100 APU with Radeon R5 Graphics and features 8 Compute Cores (4 CPU + 4GPU), is available at a suggested retail price of P29,900.00.
The Lenovo IdeaPad Z50-75, which is equipped with AMD A10-7300 APU with Radeon R6 Graphics and features 10 Compute Cores (4CPU + 6GPU), is available at a suggested retail price of P33,995.00.
Other computer brands will also feature 2014 AMD A-Series APUs which will be available soon.
· Learn more about the 2014 AMD A-Series APUs for notebook
- Learn more about the 2014 AMD A-Series APUs for desktop
- What is a Compute Core? Read our whitepaper
- For developers: learn more about Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA)
- Find out more about AMD’s revolutionary technologies: Mantle and AMD TrueAudio technology
- Become a fan of AMD and AMDPhilippines on Facebook
- Engage with us on Twitter @AMD and @AMDPhilippines